Friday, July 9, 2010

Learning to be an academic

As many of you know I was an art director and graphic designer for decades. I switched to being an art educator for many personal reasons but the turning point for me was when Lily was in 4th grade at PS 58 in Brooklyn. The class wasn't scheduled to have art that year. I volunteered one or two hours a week to teach.

When I walked in the girls were happy but the boys wailed, "I hate art, I'm no good at it!"

What?!! Who told them they were no good? How could your art career be over before you're 10 years old? Their art experience had only taught them that they were clumsy and "not artistic".

To me, art teaches you to take "this" and make it into "that".

Thanks to those boys who taught me that becoming an art educator was a really great way to go in life. It has given me tons of opportunities I didn't think at all possible.

As I had to go back to school and get my masters in art education, I found a great way to get my 30 credits above the MA at the China Institute. Last year's grant from them and the Freeman Foundation has made me realize I just love climbing around hot humid ruins in the summer.

Tonight I fly to meet my NEH colleagues. I am traveling with 29 other educators and professors to Oaxaca, Mexico to study art, history, plants, music and the ruins for 4 weeks. Studying ancient cultures has the advantage of NEVER wondering about what to read.
Hasta la vista!

No comments:

Post a Comment